Thursday 29 September 2011

Week 8 Public Media

This I promise you my reader not to digress as much as last week.

This week lecture was the other side of the coin, which we call media. It was the public arena, as soon as we started the power point I was confronted with this quote "The difference between commercial broadcasting and public broadcasting is the difference between consumers and citizens’ – Nigel Milan (former Managing Director of SBS), as I sat there are stared into my computer I thought, how true this is, today's commercial media is about ratings and money, while the public sector is trying to inform us of what really is important.

In Australia there is only one main out source of public media, which is the ABC, the ABC in my opinion is probably the best media outlet for news, I have come to believe this is because the news programs which they present do not have the "viewer grabbing pieces" which I do not care for, while ABC do have allot more international news and more concerning news which I am interested in. Also some of their other programs inform me over what else is happening in a satirical format, such as THE Chasers War on Everything.
However it not just my opinion that ABC is better, but 41% of Aussies get their news source from the ABC every year.

However public media does more than just informs it builds nations, where as commercial media is a cauldron on international programs search for the quick $$, public media bring us allot of home grown Aussie TV as well as tries to build National heritage Identikit and conversations. However this is probably contributed to the influx of the government.
·      

Finally the best thing about public media, is the politically non-bias which is expected, because it allows the viewer to get both sides of the story. 

TO recap, public media is about inform, Independence and home grown media, with a style of straight shooting, a little bit boring and non bias, while commercial is all about the MONEY and ratings, however the the style is allot more fun however some stations are view politically bias, ie FOX

No comments:

Post a Comment